In 1944 to expand production, a food plant was given a town center building which familiar to every Ekaterinburg citizen nowadays. However, the building needed much repairing that caused moving to it only in 1946. By that time confectionery production had become a mainstream, but the enterprise had been named a confectionery factory since autumn 1949. Since that year, a modern production branch with industrial technologies and at least with machines instead of manual labor had been creating in our town.
The confectionery factory developed as a main enterprise producing a wide range of caramel, sweets, cookies and waffles. Surprisingly quickly having learnt to operate new equipment, the confectionery factory staff began to work hard increasing production volume as well as improving technologies and creating their own new kinds of sweets. Thus, hands of qualified workers, process engineers, mechanicals, economists, created Sverdlovsk confectioners’ articles glory.
The factory did not escape the wave of various awards, and in 1964, it was awarded the title: "Collective of Communist Labor" which was significant in those times.
Nevertheless, even after production increasing during 20 years from 2 000 to 10 000 tons per year the old factory could not meet the regional demands. That is why a new factory was built – a future confectionery factory No.1, a modern company “Konfi”.
The decision on its construction was taken in 1950. In 1951 land on Sverdlovsk outskirts on the first km of the Siberian highway was given for new buildings. This construction lasted for fifteen years from 1952 to 1967, too long period, stopping and restarting again.
At least, on September 27, 1967 in accordance with the decision of the State Selection Committee Sverdlovsk confectionery factory No. 1 was put into operation with production output 23,000 tons of confectioneries and over 3,000 tons of semi-finished products.
During the factory start up its staff included only 50 people, but in three months of work in 1967, just by New Year holidays they produced 432 tons of sweets. In that distant year, the factory produced caramel and dragee, candies and biscuits, waffles and fruit jelly, and, of course, chocolate.
They created new production as a universal and capable to provide the Urals and Western Siberia region with a wide range of confectioneries: chocolate, sweets, caramel, biscuits, waffles, fruit jelly. The planned production capacity is 24 thousand tons per year. However, with the factory startup, named Sverdlovsk confectionery factory No.1, new issues arose inhibiting further production development. Much equipment needed erection; there were no warehouses and utility rooms. Nevertheless, the most important thing was lack of people, simple workers at conveyers and qualified specialists. Reluctantly people went to the factory because of low wages and lack of housing. Issues clung to one another and it was difficult to find the right way. Step- by- step, during two years the factory equipping finished. The old factory became a confectionery factory No.2. Dozens of well-trained professionals and skilled workers went to new production.
Yesterday's food industry college graduates learnt technological details and the workers began to be taught in their professional school.
For technological equipment commissioning specialists from Moscow and Leningrad were invited in Ekaterinburg where they worked not only through all the technological processes at the latest confectionery equipment but also helped in factory personnel training at the workplace.
Results appeared very quickly. In 1974 Sverdlovsk confectionery factory No.1 reached its planned production capacity and began to increase production regularly, not only fulfilling production volume plan but also delighting shoppers by variety of new products. It seemed that when existing planned economy and every confectionery factory was provided by output selling, there was no particular interest in products quality improvement, new recipes creating. Nevertheless, since the early 70-ies at the factory they began to introduce actively into production new varieties of products, including their own developments.
The factory got “Quality sign”, the highest evaluation of products in those times, in 1972 for chocolate “Lux” and sweets “Meteorite”. In 1976, the factory became a parent company of Sverdlovsk production Association of the confectionery industry, which also included factory No. 2, Nizhny Tagil and Kamensk-the Ural factory.
In 1981, the main factory building was enlarged by a new production area that helped to increase production capacity immediately by 3 million tons per year. Rhythmic work enabled the company to invest not only in production development but also in social sphere: two houses, a dormitory, its own kindergarten appeared.
In 1980, Sverdlovsk confectionery factory no.1 got the right to produce output with Olympics symbols and became an official sweets supplier of Moscow Olympics games, thus it left another noticeable trace in the history of the domestic confectionery industry development.
The factory took an active part in all-Union competition, shows and competitions. Many workers were awarded with orders and medals. In addition, the title "Best team of Food Industry Ministry” is annually awarded to several teams of the factory.
The challenge banner of Food Industry Ministry and the CPSU Central Committee was left for eternal storage to the factory.
1990 begins a new period in the development of the confectionery factory. It becomes a rental company (modern name - CONFI was given in 1991.) Although because of abrupt changes in political and economic life of the country the rent lasted only until 1993, the factory gets the experience of independent work without care of the Ministry. This experience helped the company to withstand the economic downturn, when production decline in Russian confectionary industry reached 60%.
In 1993, the factory was privatized. CJSC "CONFI” was created. The company maintained the production level, they created their own sales network and significantly expanded the markets for their products, including "Hot chocolate" restaurant. Thus, the factory became one of the pioneers in firm trade network establishment in Ekaterinburg.
It was then developed and released to market a unique product – instant cookies "Malyshok" for baby food.
A lot of money was invested in production development. The sponge cake and fruit jelly production area was reconstructed significantly where they installed a new line for crackers, baby food, short dough cookies production.
The construction of a new building gave them an opportunity to move production from the production branch (former factory No. 2) to the head production. The flute package production area received a new room and new equipment.
The factory work was marked by the international award "Torch of Birmingham" and "Golden mercury" (USA), the Prize "For quality" (UK) and other awards. The company products were repeatedly awarded with diplomas of Russian exhibitions. Twice (at the end of 1996 and 1997) CJSC "CONFI" was awarded as a business leader in our Sverdlovsk region.
In August 2002, the factory "Confi" became a flagship of the Confectionary Association "SladKo", which also includes confectionery factory "Volzhanka" (Ulyanovsk) and "Zarya" (Kazan).
By the way, in 2006, our factory continued its glorious path in history under new sails, joining Norwegian concern ORKLA.
In December 2011, as a result of the merger of confectionery companies acquired in Russia by a new investor into a single company, Confectionery factory " SladKo " in Ekaterinburg continued its work as a branch of OJSC "Orkla Brands Russia".
During this time, the factory in Ekaterinburg was converted mainly to biscuit products production. With a new investor who came in 2015, the factory was given back its historic name – "Confectionery factory "Confi", as a part of the largest holdings in Russian confectionery market - Confectionery Association "Slavyanka".